Well, it’s probably not what you thought, or depending on what kind of person you are, maybe it is. Apparently Naked Girls Reading is the Suicide Girls of literature. As much as I can figure out, it’s a bunch of naked women who like to give readings in the nude. For money. It all started in 2009 in Chicago, and now there are events all over the country.
And they’re having a contest. Yes your original work can be presented by a real live Naked Girl. If that’s not prize enough, you win money, “at least $500.” They’re looking for “gut level” writing of all kinds. Deadline is September 17. So if you think you’ve got something titillating enough to be read naked, go for it.
Here’s a selection of some of their reading list:
- The Smoke Off – Shel Silverstein
- Bad Acid or Bad Announcements – Abbie Hoffman
- On The Road – Jack Kerouac
- The Way You Wear Your Hat (Bio of Frank Sinatra) – Bill Zehme
- Chicago Confidential – Jack Lait and Lee Mortimer
- The Seven Addictions and Five Professions of Anita Berber – Mel Gordon
- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland – Chapter 10, The Lobster Quadrille – Lewis Carroll
- Requiem for a Dream – Hubert Selby Jr.
- “The Hangover” from On Drink by Kingsley Amis
- “The Theatre of Seraphin” from On Wine and Hashish by Charles Baudelaire
Kinda reminds me of a party back in my grad school days in Bowling Green. I wasn’t a participant mind you, but, well, that was a long time ago. I won’t name names, but you know who you are.
BTW, some of these links are NSFW.